Friday, November 14, 2008

Magnetic Framed Board

I was in charge of Lindsey's 2nd grade classroom art project for the school auction. The kids were suppose to be a part of the art project, so we made a framed magnetic board. The kids helped paint the flowers and they each made a magnet to go with the board. I added the bees myself. I think it turned out pretty cute. We'll see how much it goes for at the auction tonight!



All you need is a frame (any size), sheet of galvanized metal (find at home depot...it is a large piece so you can make a few of them!), flat clear glass stones (find in floral department at craft store), patterned paper, paper mod podge, round magnets. You will want to wear heavy gloves when handling the sheet metal...I cut myself a couple times...ouch! You will also need some sheet metal cutters - (not the technical name for them, sorry), you can also find at home depot.

Cut the metal to fit the frame. If your frame is unfinished you can paint it to your liking. If it is finished, you are one step closer to having it done! Put the sheet metal in the frame, close up the back and you are finished! Very Easy!

For the magnets: cut the patterned paper to fit on the bottom (flat side) of glass stone. Put mod podge on pattern side of paper and stick to the flat side of the glass stone. The pattern will then show through the top of stone. Glue a magnet to the back and you are done!

If you don't feel like you can make one but would still like one, I am in the process of starting an online craft shop and will be selling some of these online. I will let you know when I open! Enjoy!

This is one I made for myself.

2 thoughts from other people:

Ryan,Katie,Grey said...

That's so cute. I'm working on a magnet thing myself, I didn't know they sold it at home depot. How did you cut the magnet board?

Erin said...

I had to buy some cutting shears that are for sheet metal. If you ask someone at home depot, they will show you.